[Lazarus] Find in files crashes Cinnamon

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 13 22:00:07 CET 2019

Recently, I tried again to work with Linux Mint when developing FPC. For
FPC development I use normally lazarus from trunk, typical updated very
few weeks. For navigation in the code I use "Find in files" from time to
time, e.g. when looking where a certain internal error is thrown. I call
the Find in files dialog by Ctrl-Shift-F. Sometimes, this action crashes
Cinnamon completely: mouse still works but nothing is clickable anymore
(Ctrl-Alt-Fx still works so the kernel is apparently still fine). Often,
Ctrl-Alt-Esc can be used to restart Cinnamon after some time, sometimes
Cinnamon de-freezes after some second and shows a dialog box that it
crashed, restarted and is now in safe mode (or how it is called). The
most annoying part of these crashes is that all windows are moved to the
first virtual desktop besides that the fact that sometimes only a reboot
helps to recover.

Does anybody have an idea where this could come from or how I could
track this down (and no, the normal answer one gets when asking such
things about linux that I should try KDE or Gnome or any other of the
umpteen desktops, is not a solution).