[Lazarus] Find in files crashes Cinnamon

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Nov 15 11:42:24 CET 2019

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, C Western via lazarus wrote:

> On 13/11/2019 21:00, Florian Klämpfl via lazarus wrote:
>> Recently, I tried again to work with Linux Mint when developing FPC.
>> For FPC development I use normally lazarus from trunk, typical updated
>> very few weeks. For navigation in the code I use "Find in files" from
>> time to time, e.g. when looking where a certain internal error is
>> thrown. I call the Find in files dialog by Ctrl-Shift-F. Sometimes,
>> this action crashes Cinnamon completely: mouse still works but nothing
>> is clickable anymore (Ctrl-Alt-Fx still works so the kernel is
>> apparently still fine). Often, Ctrl-Alt-Esc can be used to restart
>> Cinnamon after some time, sometimes Cinnamon de-freezes after some
>> second and shows a dialog box that it crashed, restarted and is now in
>> safe mode (or how it is called). The most annoying part of these
>> crashes is that all windows are moved to the first virtual desktop
>> besides that the fact that sometimes only a reboot helps to recover.

It's called "Fallback mode", see below how I know this :-)

>> Does anybody have an idea where this could come from or how I could
>> track this down (and no, the normal answer one gets when asking such
>> things about linux that I should try KDE or Gnome or any other of the
>> umpteen desktops, is not a solution).
> It sounds like a bug in the desktop but:
>
> Is Ctrl-Shift-F one of the keyboard shortcuts handled by the desktop in
> your configuration? Does Ctrl-Shift-F work as a shortcut in other
> applications?

I have the same problems with Cinnamon. It is not only "Find in Files" that
triggers this. A simple debug tooltip (when inspecting a value) can also
trigger it.

I have it most often when debugging. I have learned to live with it, and
Cinnamon runs most of the time in fallback mode, and even so it restarts
every so often. Just as Florian, from time to time I must even switch to a plain text console
(CTRL-ALT-F1 or so) and kill X, but this is rare.

The crash and switch to 'fallback mode' ("restart fallback mode" would be better named)
happens easily once a day.

I'd try using linux mint "mate", but I'm not particularly looking forward to
reconfiguring my machine. It takes days to get everything in working order
again...

I'd like to report it to the Cinnamon maintainers, but have no clue how to report
it, since it happens reliably, but unfortunately 'randomly' in the sense
that I don't yet have a definite sequence of actions that triggers it.

If there are any tips how I can somehow get a trace to the Cinnamon
maintainers, then I would appreciate it.

Michael.