[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 01:30:45 CET 2019

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 15:37:23 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus

>On 02/11/2019 14:48, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Now it happened again!
>> I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
>> (external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.
>>
>> When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
>> copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!
>>
>> I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.
>It would be really helpful if you could try to get a trace. (see my last
>reply)
>Otherwise this issue may be present for a lot of future versions.

I've been away from this for a while doing circuit board design for
the RPi plug-in card I will need for the functionality of my project.
Now back to coding and I am doing it on the target system since it is
not possible for me to cross-compile for RPi on my Windows system. I
never managed to understand how to make it work....

So I am on a VNC connection using RealVNC on my Win7 laptop towards
the RPi4 system running a fully updated Raspbian Buster.

And I have been bitten several times the last days by the suddenly
disappearing Lazarus application....

So I switched to Lazarus 2.0.4 in order to use that instead of the
2.0.6 I thought was the culprit.
Turns out I was wrong! I get these crashes also on 2.0.4...

So now I need to get into a situation where I can safely develop the
code on my Windows 7 machine instead (there I have NEVER seen this
happen). It is no fun when code worked on for an hour suddenly just
disappears.

But there are several places in the code where Linux specific
constructs are used, for example I use the PiGpio unit which is RPi
specific and I have no way to redirect that to the Windows
environment. On test compilations I get a large number of errors
relating to unix etc.

So is there some way I can enable cross-compiling for Linux (i.e.
Raspbian on RPi4) on my Windows7 installation?

Unlike on Raspbian I have not built fpc/lazarus from sources but
rather used the official installer found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2064%20bits/Lazarus%202.0.4/

There is also a cross-compiler on that page but probably not what I
need since it only mentions the Intel architecture...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden