[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 24 12:23:57 CET 2019

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019, Marco van de Voort via lazarus wrote:

>>> We are also using Lazarus for hardware related stuff with no help at
>>> all from the web!
>>
>> I think this is *the* main advantage of FPC/Lazarus: you can use it
>> for almost every type of application on any platform (sorry C64 users,
>> we do not have a solution ... yet ;)).
>>
> No. More importantly it gives independence. Something that external
> tools don't give. If they wither or change direction, or do the umpteen
> API change you have an immediate problem and risk getting caught in an
> infinite catch-up

That argument cuts both ways.
If you need an improvement in your IDE you need to do it yourself.
If the external tool implements it, you get it for free.

So that means it's a trade-off. Do you wish to spend your time fixing broken
external dependencies, or do you wish to spend it implementing new things
yourself ?

Asking the question is answering it ;-)

Michael.