[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 25 09:27:46 CET 2019

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, Luca Olivetti via lazarus wrote:

>>> But you can run a custom web app on a local server, no internet needed.
>>
>> Sure, basically when we did webapps we always had local installs for
>> testing etc. But if it is to work on a single laptop, it must not
>> reference any service on the web. So you must even be able to generate
>> it with other locations for default javascript scripts.
>
> No, that's not what I meant. I meant an internal network with an
> application specific server used by many clients.
>

>>> I never wrote something like that, but I have some applications where
>>> that could be useful.
>>
>> Mostly testing, and when you have to. But it is not something I prefer,
>> more a hard way to do a simple thing
>
> Sure, for me it's easier to develop a rich native client with lazarus,
> but I wouldn't mind if, just for *some* specific cases, lazarus allowed
> me to easily develop a full fledged web application, independent from
> any external server. It seems that the infrastructure is mostly there
> (fcl-web, pas2js, etc.) it "just"[*] needs some support from the ide
> (that's what this poll was about, right?).

In order to see the full potential of web components, the IDE needs to be
web-enabled. This can be done through recreating the IDE as a web
application itself (VS Code, Atom, electron etc) or by allowing it to talk
to a browser (by embedding the browser, or invoking the browser somehow).
Both approaches are possible.

In that sense, this is indeed what the poll is about.

Michael.