[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 25 09:31:08 CET 2019

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019, Dmitry Boyarintsev via lazarus wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 5:04 PM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <
> lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> This week in Be.Delphi, (and last week in DüsselDorf, Germany) TMS
>> Software has unveiled
>> a VS Code plugin: an Object Pascal RAD IDE.
>>

> what about this plugin:
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=alefragnani.pascal
>
> it seems like it has been out there for 2 years already.

I am aware of it. I see 2 differences with OmniPascal:

1. You have access to the sources. This is better than OmniPascal.
    (I still suspect omnipascal will become paying one day)

2. It uses GNU globals to implement the needed functionality. This is
    less powerful than OmniPascal which uses an AST to implemment it's
    functionality.

Michael.