[Lazarus] Lazarus program runs fine in a Terminal but not in a PuTTY session, why?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:41:50 CET 2019

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:26:26 +0100 (CET), Michael Van Canneyt via
lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Oct 2019, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:06:17 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
>> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I am working on a program intended to be run by cron in unattended
>>> mode on a Raspberry Pi without GUI installed.
>>>
>>> I started it in Windows but have now moved the sources over to
>>> Raspbian for building on that platform and it does not work as
>>> expected...
>>>

>> After posting here I went into project options and looked for
>> something that could relate to the GUI being present and then I found
>> this:
>>
>> Project/ProjectOptions/CompilerOptions/AdditionsAndOverrides/SetLCLWidgetType/
>>
>> Here was a selection "nogui", which I set and now the error
>> disappeared!!!
>>
>> Hard to find but seems like I am OK for now...
>
>You can't run a Linux LCL graphical program through putty, unless you have an X
>session running on your windows machine, and you set up the necessary port forwarding.
>
>What you did in the options is simply completely disable the GUI.
>As a result, the linux program does not try to connect to the X server.
>
>If the program works 100%, you should ask yourself why you needed the GUI
>routines in the first place ?
>
>Michael.

I do *not* have *any* GUI routines or such.
The program was created as one of the console types Lazarus offers (I
do not really know the difference between them and I don't remember
which one I chose).
So it is *not* a GUI program at all, it was meant from the start to be
run from cron invisible from the user rather like a service.

I also set the dependencies to LCLbase to avoid the GUI part.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden