[Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Apr 11 01:04:27 CEST 2020

On 10/04/2020 10:46, C Western via lazarus wrote:
> The current FPC 3.2.0RC1 / 2.0.8 release works fine for me, though I
> would comment that debugging with gdb seemed particularly crash prone;
> I am using:
>
> GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 8.3.50.20190824-30.fc31 (64 bit)
>
> It (gdb) would crash far too often on hitting a breakpoint in my
> program. I would say the internal dwarf debugger in Lazarus proved
> rather more reliable - maybe this is a better default for Linux?
What debug type info are you using?

I know that gdb has quite some issues with FPC's dwarf 3.
There are a few people who say dwarf 3 works for them, but I do highly
recommend dwarf-2-with-sets.

That said gdb with dwarf-2 is not crash free either. Just a little less
likely...

Many crashes happens when accessing watches (or locals or parameters).

Finding what it crashes on:
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session
Then you might be able to avoid it... Maybe...

In Lazarus 2.1 fpdebug is pre-installed. But not yet the default. That
decision is still pending. But ultimately the idea is for it to become
the default.