[Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 14 08:55:11 CEST 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

> @Michael
> I have not used the OPM extensively, but I think that once a package has
> been registered/accepted, I think the original author must be able to
> upload his
> own changes.
>
> @silvioprog
> Me too. Many other PMs allows the component/library authors to upgrade
> their packages. I personally would like to use any procedure instead of
> sending e-mail.
>
> Creating such an infrastructure would require a lot of work and time. First
> you need a registration/login system for the package developers, a database
> to store information about the packages, a mechanism to find
> dependencies(currently is done by parsing a json), quotas for users, etc.
> More over OPM shouldn't connect directly to the database, you need a third
> application running on server side via cgi, also you need some kind of
> traffic encryption. Definitely not a one man job.

You are aware that Joost has already a completely function system for this ?

We're going to roll it out for FPC after 3.2, and I suppose you could piggy-back on it
for the OPM. As far as I know joost has been working actively on bridging
the lazarus package system with the fppkg system in lazarus,
so I imagine it should not be too much work for you.

I still need to rewrite the web-front end in pas2js, but from what I've seen
that should also not be too much work. It's in my top-3 TODO when the texts
for the Lazarus book are done.

Michael.