[Lazarus] Completely solve the GTK trouble

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 14 13:57:48 CEST 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, jiaxing ruan via lazarus wrote:

> I skipped the Lua part in my binding because I think it will not needed for Free Pascal. Don't know if we would have any use for it.

I only mentioned it because it contains ideas for properties.
I don't propose to create/use lua bindings.

> About 1: Could we do canvas drawing with IUPCD? It use CD (Canvas Draw) graphic library, also developed by the same developer. Note that IUPCD is shipped with IUP itself, we don't need to install a separate library CD.

I don't know, the info I can find is not conclusive.

> About 2: I don't know about that. But I think there should be way to do absolute layout with IUP. Could you check it again? I have never use absolute position with IUP, though.

iupCBox seems to be intended for absolute positioning.

> I don't want it to replace GTK2 interface.  But the GTK3 interface is
> definitely bad.  I want to use IUP as an abstract layer on top of GTK.
> IUP, something not changed much, ontop of GTK, something changes rapidly.
> It will save us a lot of maintenance job in the future.  It's my
> reasoning.

Yes, I understood that.
At the same time it is an extra layer on top of gtk over which you have no
control...

Michael.