[Lazarus] Completely solve the GTK trouble

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 17:06:00 CEST 2020

jiaxing ruan <ruanjiaxing1234 at outlook.com> schrieb am Di., 14. Apr. 2020,
15:03:

> We have no control over GTK, too. IUP is better in this regard as it
> doesn't change as much as GTK. IUP is much smaller than GTK, too. Creating
> binding for IUP I only have to use h2pas. I don't think h2pas is able to
> create binding for the whole GTK stuffs, which also include GDK, ATK,
> GObject, GLib... I know about gir2pascal, but if it good enough why our GTK
> binding is too bad?

Adding another level of abstraction between the LCL and the underlying
toolkit will result in more problems. What if we need something for the LCL
that is available in GTK, but not in IUP?

> @Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> I tried with Lazarus trunk +
> FPC trunk from Fpcupdeluxe, built using Win64 interface but after that I
> configured to rebuild it with GTK3 inferface and it failed immediately. So
> I don't know how could I help testing Lazarus GTK3 as even build it is
> impossible. I installed GTK3 runtime and MinGW 8.1, both properly added to
> PATH. Does a Linux machine absolutely needed? I only do Windows stuffs so I
> afraid I can't help with that.

I have never tested GTK on Windows, so I can't comment here. My suggestion
is indeed to use a Linux. Though if you have a Windows 10 you could also
use Windows Subsystem for Linux with a X server on the Windows side.

Regards,
Sven