[Lazarus] Proposal: Allow Umlaute and Accented Characters in Identifiers

Special special at joepgen.com
Sat Jul 4 09:44:55 CEST 2020

Am 03.07.2020 um 16:13 schrieb Martin Frb via lazarus:
> On 03/07/2020 14:55, Péter Gábor via lazarus wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Then you must allow Cyrillic,d Arabic and so Chinese and other national
>> and special characters to be used in identifiers.
> Worse, the same source may then compile or fail to compile depending
> on the locale.
>
> Pascal is case insensitive.
> var I: integer; // upper i
> for i := 0 to x do ...;
>
> compiles today.
>
> But when compiling, using Turkish locale, this would fail.
> In Turkish there is a dotted and a dotless i, both upper and lower.
> So I and i are different letters.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Hi,

if Lazarus had an option "Allow accented Latin characters and Umlauts in
identifiers", then Cyrillic, Arabic and Chinese and other special
national charcters and dotted characters like the Turkish "I." were not
included ('Dotted' is not 'Accented').  So we could enjoy the benefits
of this proposal without the drawbacks.

-- Joe