[Lazarus] Cannot compile console application, why?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:39:07 CEST 2020

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 07:20:08 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>I suggest to remove indylaz from the uses clause.
>It pulls in some GUI related code, probably some design-time stuff.

So I have done this:
- deleted the uses indylaz in the lpr file
- removed the LCLbase from project required packages

Still the same behaviour. LCLbase was not there to begin with, I added
it as a wild guess but it did nothing so is now removed.

Next I started removing uses clauses one by one in the
remoteserver.pas unit where the indy functionality is located and when
I had removed these two it did build!

  //StdCtrls,
  //IdBaseComponent,

QUESTION:
---------
What is the correct way to start a new project that is just a console
no GUI type program intended to be run as a systemd service on Linux?
There are several types of programs to choose from and I have not
understood the difference between:
- Simple Program
- Program
- Console application