[Lazarus] The Problem with the Linux Desktop

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 27 09:27:23 CET 2020

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:

> On Linux ...
>
> I was looking at the Unity tray icon code I submitted a while back and it
> had stopped working on my desktop environment. I was also looking for a way
> to track user log off events, monitor clipboard history, and how to
> register a global hot key.

Haha :-)

This is an age-old discussion. Echo of the late 90-ies last century.

You're reasoning windows centric, where everything is centrally controlled.
(same for Mac) This gives a certain amount of stability, but you are at the
mercy of the controlling instance.

You will therefor always be disappointed when using linux desktop, which is about
liberty, choice and variety, and which lacks this stability or unity.

The latter implies that when developing, you are also forced to make a choice;
what platforms to support and what not. Gnome, KDE, XFDE etc.

If you don't like that, stay away from Linux desktop.

Michael.