[Lazarus] Help! Lazarus compile fails.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:17:32 CEST 2020

On Fri, 8 May 2020 12:05:47 +0200, Giuliano Colla via lazarus

>Il 07/05/2020 13:55, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:
>> I would not "upgrade" an installation, rather I would install a new
>> version along side of the existing one.
>> And I always install fpc/lazarus inside of the home dir instead of
>> using a global installation.
>
>I just gave a quick information. I do exactly the same as you, and I
>still have all my versions around. But whatever I do,I succeed
>installing  Lazarus, but I fail rebuilding it. I'm afraid my environment
>has become too old, but I'd been glad to learn that is not the case, and
>there's a simpler way, than switching to CentOs 7 or something.

Just to clarify:
I assume you have one config dir for *each* Lazarus version in your
home? Like this:

~ $ ll | grep .laza
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Nov  2  2019 .lazarus_2.0.2
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Nov 24 00:33 .lazarus_2.0.4
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Feb  5 18:24 .lazarus_2.0.6
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 May  2 08:11 .lazarus_2.0.8

I made once a "shortcut" when installing a new Lazarus version by
copying an earlier config dir into the new name and then starting
Lazarus.
But Lazarus discovered that it was using an older config and offered
to update it, so it seemed to work OK.

However, there were still settings lingering that pointed back to the
old config dir, for example the packages downloaded via online package
manager were there but the config pointed to the previous
directory....
Caused a lot of confusion until I understood how it worked.

The reason I did the copy was that I wanted my IDE settings to migrate
to the new Lazarus so I don't have to tediously customize the IDE
etc...

So whatever you do, do *not* copy the entire config dir to a new name
and use it with the new Lazarus!!!
Instead create a new *empty* dir to use instead and if needed copy the
editoroptions.xml file and perhaps some other settings file you use
after you have run Lazarus the first time with this pcp target.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden