[Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu May 21 17:45:55 CEST 2020

On Thu, 21 May 2020, Werner Pamler via lazarus wrote:

> Am 21.05.2020 um 16:13 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
>> What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?
>
> Roland Hahn who designed most of the palette and a good part of the
> toolbar icons is using Inkscape. This may be a bit surprising because
> Inkscape is a vector graphics program for svg drawings, but icons are
> bitmaps. The main advantage is that every feature of the drawing is
> available as a separate object, not merged together like in the bitmap
> programs (unless layers are supported). Producing svg vector drawings it
> is enough to do an image once and export the three resolutions (95ppi,
> 144pii, 192ppi) from that single source file. Well - in principle
> because the 150% image usually becomes a bit blurred this way. Roland
> goes even a step further and does every size individually in order to
> fine-tune details.  And the final advantage is that we have svg files
> for the time when a future Lazarus will support to scalable svg images.

OK.

Where are the SVG sources for the icons ? I looked but can't find them.

I need to create a new dataset descendent image. It would be good to be able
to start from one of the existing SVGs and simply change the text.

So maybe the SVGs of the original icons could be included in the lazarus
distribution. That way people can take an existing one and change it.

> In the meantime I tried Inkscape myself for some of my own components,
> and yes, once I learned the basic operations it is really well-suited.

I believe it.

>> Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows
>> you to
>> create component icons with the correct sizes ?
>
> It really would have to be an advanced program, most of all supporting
> layers, and I think that this would be too much work. Besides GreenFish
> there is also LazPaint, both written with Lazarus and are very good.

Yes and no. The goal is to be able to make a minimalistic icon quickly.
For this you don't need a full-blown editor. I expect such tool to be
included in Lazarus.

For Delphi I still use the icon editor that came with D7.
Since they later removed it, I specially saved this program in a separate folder.
For example, I have my own TDatasource. I just changed the colors of the
TDatasource one.
The icons will not win a beauty prize, but at least every component gets a
distinct icon.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the answers ! If the SVG files could be
committed, that would be nice.

Michael.