[Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18.04.4 via VNC cannot find utilities

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun May 24 23:08:59 CEST 2020

On Sun, 24 May 2020 22:30:04 +0200, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 22:21:31 +0200
>Bo Berglund via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>> But fpres is built during installation of fpc/lazarus and the binary
>> is placed in ~/bin, which usually is available on path.
>
>> And the /home/bosse/.profile file contains this:
>
>Not every shell uses /home/bosse/.profile.
>
>How do you start lazarus? Maybe this starter uses its own environment.

I always start Lazarus from the application menu (or a shortcut to
that desktop file placed on the desktop itself.

The content of the desktop file in use is (my logon username is
bosse):

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Lazarus IDE 2.0.8
Terminal=false
Name=Lazarus 2.0.8
Exec=/home/bosse/dev/lazarus/2.0.8/startlazarus
--pcp=/home/bosse/.lazarus_2.0.8 %f
Type=Application
Icon=/home/bosse/dev/lazarus/2.0.8/images/ide_icon48x48.png
Categories=Application;IDE;Development;GTK;GUIDesigner;Programming;
NoDisplay=false
Keywords=editor;Pascal;IDE;FreePascal;fpc;Design;Designer;

This file is visible on the desktop as an icon as well as on the menu
subsection "programming".

As I said I access the Ubuntu machine via VNC so I can work on it
simultaneously as doing other things on Windows.

NOTE:
I had a problem with the Terminal application, which also does not get
the ~/bin dir added to its path even though .profile says so...

Turned out (after asking on the ubuntu forum) that the Mate and Gnome
Terminal programs both have an Edit/Profile settings where one can set
the terminal to "run command as a login shell"
When I checked that the terminal after a restart had ~/bin as the
first entry in PATH.

So I wonder if maybe Lazarus has a similar setting?

Or maybe VNC server does?
(Of course that is off-topic here, but still if someone "just knows"
maybe a global solution might be possible)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden