[Lazarus] RegisterWSComponent documentation?

Zoë Peterson zoe at scootersoftware.com
Tue Nov 10 22:27:57 CET 2020

Is there any documentation on how RegisterWSComponent works with
creating classes at runtime?

I'm specifically looking at TTreeView and TCustomControl, which both
have WS classes, TWSTreeView and TWSCustomControl, and widgetset
specific subclasses, TCocoaWSTreeView and TCocoaWSCustomControl.  It
looks like it's creating new classes at runtime that somehow combine
TCocoaWSTreeView and TCocoaWSCustomControl together, but it's not clear.

If I have my own class (TUiTreeView) and I want to register a subclass
of my own to customize some behavior, should TUiCocoaWSTreeView descend
from TCocoaWSTreeView or TCocoaWSCustomControl?  Does it matter?  If I
have a TUiCocoaWSCustomControl too, which has a bunch of behavior I want
to share, can I have TUiCocoaWSTreeView descend from that?  Does the
answer change if I add a new virtual method in TUiCocoaWSCustomControl?

This is an issue for me because on macOS 10.14 and later, treeviews
should use an NSVisualEffectView for their background rather than using
a plain fillRect(clWindow).  I have that working in our own wrapper
classes, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something dangerous.  I would
love to submit the above back to the LCL for inclusion in stock Lazarus,
but to allow descendants to hook it properly, I'd want a virtual method
in TCocoaWSCustomControl that TCocoaWSTreeView could override, and I
assume that isn't supported.

Thanks,
Zoë Peterson
Scooter Software