[Lazarus] -dWINDOWS_LIGATURE [[Re: Font ligatures support]]

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Oct 6 13:32:27 CEST 2020

On 04/10/2020 18:05, Martin Frb wrote:
> On 04/10/2020 10:14, Mr Bee wrote:
>> If it does work, would you please submit it as a patch for the next
>> release? At least, add a note that the font ligatures feature only
>> supports monospaced fonts and only works on Windows. It's better than
>> nothing.
>>
> revision 63951
>
> Windows only, compile with -dWINDOWS_LIGATURE
> Tested with Cascadia.

I did add a couple of checks. Amended it for right to left languages
(Arabic).

Arabic only works with certain fonts.
And Japanese Katakana seems not to work at all (or I have not found a
supporting font, while without this feature it works with "Deja Vue" and
others).

It appears that this API restricts Windows font substitution abilities.
It might be that in order for all this to work, one has to use the newer
"uniscribe" API.

I also kind of assume that in the current IFDEF code the use of the DX
array (ETO) is wrong. But I could not produce any errors from that / And
it only would happen if  NeedETO = True.

So for the moment, this stays highly experimental.