[Lazarus] Debugging in Lazarus, cannot inspect values at breakpoints...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:11:10 CEST 2020

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 17:49:47 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus

>So I am debugging an application that transfers data over a socket
>connection. I want to inspect received data so I put a breakpoint in
>the method that does the handling of the response.
>But when I get there and want to see what has been received Lazarus
>does not show it...

When I posted this thread there were a lot of responses that went way
above my head...
Now I am debugging the application where the state of some buttons are
set depending on conditions.

But again I am unable to inspect what the button state is when I have
stopped on a breakpont in the code.

One simple example:

procedure TfrmSSRemoteClient.elvTasksItemSelect(Sender: TObject; Item:
TListItem; Index: Integer);
begin
  btnDeleteTask.Enabled := true;
  btnTaskProperties.Enabled := true;
  btnEditTask.Enabled := true;
  btnStopTask.Enabled := Item.SubItems[1] = '1';
  btnRunNow.Enabled := Item.SubItems[1] = '0';
end;

For example if I step through this simple piece of code and hover on
the Enabled keyword on the line above or on the same line there is
only a message popping up:
Type TBITBTN has no component named ENABLED.....

According to my memory Enabled for buittons has existed from Delphi1
and onwards and I am pretty sure that it also exists in Lazarus/FPC...
Why can I not see the state of the buttons while debugging?

I am using Lazarus 2.0.8/FPC 3.0.4 on Windows 10 installed using the
official installer.

Please help with whatever customization I need to do in Lazarus to
enable this seemingly natural function while debugging!

It is driving me nuts.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden