[Lazarus] Debugging in Lazarus, cannot inspect values at breakpoints...

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Sep 30 13:09:55 CEST 2020

On 30/09/2020 12:41, Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus wrote:
> On 30.09.2020 12:34, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
>> On 30/09/2020 11:54, Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus wrote:
>>> Tooltip evaluation: works for me
>>> Watches: works for me
>>> Local Variables: doesn't work for me - strange, I have to re-check.
>>> I thought it worked here.
>> Locals do not have the type info
>>
>> Gdb returns them as just a pair of name value strings.
>>
>> Of course the backend could run each of them a watch. That will be a
>> bit slower though.
>
> Aahhh, thanks - I remember now. I did it for locals (I obtained the
> type info for every locals entry) but it made debugging so painfully
> slow that I reverted it.
>
> Thanks for the info - I don't have to check now again.

Well the solution here would be that, once the gdbmi-debugger  get to
idle (and if the user has not pressed continue/run/step) then it could
start fetching more info on locals.
But that would need to be driven by the backend.
And it would mean that the storage for locals need to be changed, so the
backend can store the info.

If the debugger intf is changed, fpdebug can supply the info and it can
do so real fast.
But the intf changes need to be done careful....