[Lazarus] Clipboard Data Goes Away

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:12:04 CEST 2021

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 03:26:47 -0400, Anthony Walter via lazarus

>I noticed a recent discussion touching on this problem posted by Bo
>Berglund on November 20, 2020 to this same mailing list.

I'm back...
In fact I have a *related* clipboard issue inside Lazarus itself:

Working in Lazarus via a VNC connection to a RaspberryPi (Lazarus is on the
RPi).

If I try to search for a string which I have copied in Windows the following
happens:

- String copied in Windows
- Use Ctrl-V in Lazarus and the string is pasted into the code editor OK
- This shows that the string is in the clipboard

- String again copied in Windows
- Hit F3 in Lazarus to start a search, a bogus search term appears
- Use Ctrl-V to paste the copied string into the Lazarus search dialog
- Nothing happens...

- In Lazarus select the bogus search item in the dialog
- Try to replace it with Ctrl-V
- Nothing happens...

- Finally go back to Windows and again copy the search string
- Now in Lazarus use Backspace to erase the bogus search item in the existing
search dialog which was not closed
- Hit Ctrl-V to paste the search string
- NOW FINALLY! The string is pasted into the search dialog

It seems like the clipboard is cleared (or replaced) by the following
opertations in Lazarus:
- Using F3 to start a search operation with nothing selected in the source
- Selecting the bogus word in the search dialog in order to replace it

Why this behaviour? I am constantly being hit with this when I am porting a
Windows application from Delphi to Linux-FreePascal.
I have the project open in Windows and the converted project in Linux and trying
to navigate via searches is just so cumbersome with this behaviour.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden