[Lazarus] Source file license

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:54:58 CET 2021

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 3:24 PM Martin Frb via lazarus <
lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> On 15/12/2021 12:53, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via lazarus <
> lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> what licenses are accepted by the Lazarus project ?
>>    MIT ? GPL v2 ? GPL v3 ?
>>

> The Lazarus IDE itself is GPL v2. Most packages are LGPL v2.
> If your utility is to be installed into the IDE, LGPL v2 is the best.
> Executables outside the IDE can have other licenses but GPL or LGPL is
> still recommended.
>
> IMHO:
>
> It is also acceptable to have a "mixed license". E.g.
>    Licensed [L]GPL 2 [OR: "2 or later"] or MIT at the users choice.
>    Anyone using/modifying this code must keep at least either one of the
> two Licenses, but is free to remove the other.
>
> We inherited a case like this in SynEdit. You can check there how exactly
> it is described.

LGPL is a Copy-left ,  MIT is a Permissive license . Use of such a two
licenses
will be more suitable for ( real or legal ) persons to select one most
suitable for
their needs . In turn , this will increase  the number of users of the
related software .

With my best wishes ,

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk