[Lazarus] Borderspacing property not working?

Timothy Groves the.tail.kinker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:26:05 CET 2021

I have created several dynamic controls in my form, and setting the
BorderSpacing property produces consistently incorrect results.
Dynamically created controls will exhibit borders between themselves, but
not to the parent object.  What am I doing wrong?

Here is a chunk of the offending code.

  for index := 0 to 8 do begin
    labSurface [index] := tLabel.Create (Application);
    with (labSurface [index]) do begin
      parent := tabSurface;
      Caption := LocationNames [index];
      BorderSpacing.Around := 8;
      BorderSpacing.Left := 8;
      Anchors := [akTop, akLeft];
    end;
  end;

  labSurface [0].AnchorSide [akTop].Control := labSurfaceLocation;
  labSurface [0].AnchorSide [akTop].Side := asrBottom;
  labSurface [0].AnchorSide [akLeft].Control := Parent;
  labSurface [0].AnchorSide [akLeft].Side := asrRight;
  for index := 1 to 8 do begin
    labSurface [index].AnchorSide [akTop].Control := labSurface [index - 1];
    labSurface [index].AnchorSide [akTop].Side := asrBottom;
    labSurface [index].AnchorSide [akLeft].Control := Parent;
    labSurface [index].AnchorSide [akLeft].Side := asrRight;
  end;

--
"Cows fly like clouds, but are never quite successful."
--Megahal