[Lazarus] unit Masks vs. unit FPMasks

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 21:22:48 CET 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:15 PM Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> TMask.MatchesWindowsMask now raises an exception.
> Seriously??
> This is INSANE.

Let me explain.
My backup and some related programs still compile, but instatly raise
an exception when they start to perform their main task.
Thank you very much.

The normal way of doing this is:
Deprecate the function in question, but d NOT kill it's functionality.
Add a useful deprecated message.
Remove the function in the next major release (deprecate in 2.1, and
so 2.2, only remove in 2.3, si't be gone in 2.4).
Simply removing functionality like you have done now will alienate
users from Lazarus, since apparently "we" cannot be trusted.

Juha: you seem to be obsessed with speeding up string handling code.
This is not really a problem as long as you are not deaf to arguments
against your changes.
You introduce new bugs, remove old features, all for the sake of speed.
All that when, in my perception, this code is mostly used in
conjunction with file IO, which is orders of magnitude slower than
even slopy string handling.

--
Bart