[Lazarus] The "Use" button in Component List

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:00:30 CEST 2021

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 1:45 PM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <
lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2021, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>
> > The list opens with Ctrl-Alt-P and is an alternative to the Component
> > Palette.
> > Is the "Use" button somehow useful?
> > A component can be added by selecting it and clicking on designer, or by
> > double-clicking it.
> > The behavior was slightly changed in r64929, issue:
> > https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=38706
> > Now the "Use" button inserts a component at coord(0,0) right away, which
> is
> > the double-click behavior.
> > Should the button be removed?
>
> I don't think you should remove it.
> The fact that you can/must double click is not immediatly clear.
> A button has a clear meaning.
>
> Michael.
> --

FWIW (I don't build forms very often), I would like to expand on Michael's
comment to suggest the "Use" button's caption could be changed to "Insert
on form" or something similar to more clearly describe its function.  Or
maybe just "Insert" with a more descriptive hint (Insert selected component
on active form).