[Lazarus] Lazarus on Linux, which desktop environment?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 00:53:35 CET 2021

I am using Fedora distributions with KDE installed for my daily work and in
a different NFS network using  Fedora with KDE for Lazarus/FPC , Fortran
and C programming . Previously I was using NFS and Samba together for the
SAME NFS server in Fedora and KDE ( because it is easy to manage NFS server
computers with KDE with respect to only "Fedora server" which is using
command line management ) because of developing my programs also in Windows
.  ( When Linux is used only ) file names are consistently handled with
respect to case sensitivity  and file access rights . When Windows is used
on the same NFS server through Samba   , as a result of editing or touching
file names , file names are converted to UPPERcase and their access rights
are broken . In such a combined use , it is forced to use ONLY Windows to
manage file names and access rights  consistently . For that reason I have
abandoned the use of Windows and continued with only Linux . It is possible
to use Windows if you CAN ACCESS to NFS server from Windows ( if Windows is
allowing such an access )  ( for ONLY compilations but never for editing )
( because it is becoming necessary to adjust file names ( you may use
UPPERcase in Linux also but sometimes this may NOT be possible ) and their
access rights to enable to use them from Linux  ) . In short ,  the use of
such a combination ( as Linux and Windows )  is really difficult .

It is possible to use  KUbuntu ( KDE with Ubuntu ) . My choice is Fedora
because I find it more easily usable and with respect to their *.rpm
repository quality .

With my best wishes for all of you ,

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk