[Lazarus] Lazarus on Linux, which desktop environment?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 21 09:33:12 CET 2021

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 02:53:35 +0300, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> It is possible to use  KUbuntu ( KDE with Ubuntu ) . My choice is Fedora
>> because I find it more easily usable and with respect to their *.rpm
>> repository quality .
>
> Thanks,
> but my server is *already* installed and running (using Ubuntu Server 20.04.3)
> and I am only wanting to *add* a light-weight desktop environment to be able to
> use some graphics tools for administration work on the server (such as Gparted
> etc).
> And of course to use Lazarus directly on this server to build some Linux tools
> etc. But it will be accessed using VNC from my Windows box.
>
> My question is asked from my worry that Lazarus itself will add dependencies on
> the desktop environment, which do not match the target system environments....
>
> So I am looking for a *desktop environment* to be installed on a server
> currently *without* a desktop so Lazarus can be used to create apps that will
> work universally on Linux.

It does not matter what environment you install.

The only thing that matters is that the final environment has the necessary
libraries for the widgetset with which you compile your application.
Currently that is by default gtk2.

You can install KDE, but then installing Lazarus will most likely add the
GTK libraries as a dependency.

So the easiest is to install something that is GTK based, like MATE as used
in linux mint.

Michael.