[Lazarus] trying to read an EXE

duilio foschi octopushole at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 11:53:30 CEST 2021

I followed Bart's suggestion and added the -al switch to the fpc.cfg file.

This was probably the right move, as - after a new compile - I could see
the wanted .s file beside the regular EXE.

I uploaded the .s file here:
https://mega.nz/file/rlpyHa7b#fx0LYTjapmUdFRkzVGCCzFFogqYuEu7UvYQ5HtilLks

I opened the new .s file with a text editor and had a new surprising
result: the instruction

i:=cmbYear.ItemIndex+2005;

is nowhere to be found.

I tried to find the figure 2005 both as 07D5 and as D507: no hit.

I tried to find the string 'peppe' (that I correctly find in the EXE) in
the S file: no hit.

I tried to find the string 'peppe' in hex format (7065707065) in the S
file: no hit.

I tried to understand where the OnClick event could be written, but - with
little surprise - I could not.

I recompiled with no debug info + using the option 'no optimization'. The
new .s file is stored here
https://mega.nz/file/X1B2mJpL#smqDJOoDOBZOMoDUpeNutXw3C3YgqHurbdC6L7m2vf4

The new .s file gives no new information than the old one.

With all this: the EXE works ok.

This case shows that I have a lot of things to learn.

Any help?

Peppe

PS:

if interested: