[Lazarus] Component palette enhancements

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 6 23:45:45 CEST 2022

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Marco van de Voort via lazarus wrote:

> On 6-4-2022 14:47, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
>>
>> * When writing: write UnitName.ComponentName instead of ComponentName.
>>   A trivial change, which can be done in a backward compatible manner.
>
> It only will break compatibility with Delphi needlessly.   This will
> complicate making e.g. demoes for shared library packages.

I must still see these demos that can be compiled with Delphi and Lazarus.
The property names of components and controls in LCL/VCL are already
different, so your intended scenario is simply imaginary and non-existent.

Every package which works for Delphi and Lazarus  that I've seen has
separate demos for Lazarus and Delphi for this reason.

So it's not like this new feature would worsen the situation.

> If component names have units,  and units have a package (vcl. etc)
> prefix, maybe it is simply enough to register the prefix in the reader
> library and then disambiguate between the various units based on the
> package prefix.

Units are already packages (or namespaces) by themselves.
That is why they were invented. No need to add a second layer.

And as said, I would introduce a flag to make the behaviour backwards compatible.
Only writing is affected. People that need to write 100% delphi compatible streams
just need to set the flag. Done.

Michael.