[Lazarus] Component palette enhancements

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Fri Apr 8 15:02:46 CEST 2022

On 8-4-2022 14:21, Sven Barth wrote:
> Marco van de Voort via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> schrieb
> am Fr., 8. Apr. 2022, 11:58:
>

>     IOW in which cases is disambiguation in the class registration of the
>     generated app needed?
>

>     Sure, the IDE is also a FPC/Lazarus app, but it has more leeway for
>     solutions that doesn't require changes to the way EVERY APP
>     streams its
>     forms.
>

> The use case that Michael has in mind is that inside an app you have a
> StdCtrls.TButton and a MyControls.TButton. Right now one *must* rename
> ones own even though the full name including unit name is unique.
>
> Solving this would at the same time allow the IDE to have a TButton
> for both the LCL and e.g. Web Components Library. Right now they need
> to be named differently like WebCtrls.TWButton.

But that doesn't make it necessary to rename TButton to
Stdctrls.TButton. It only means MyControls.TButton must always be
qualified. (See the subthread with Mattias).

We shouldn't fix every minor issue with a breaking change and pray the
users that are hit by this will find the umpteenth boolean switch to fix
it (and can change it early enough, e.g. what about class registration
in initialization sections?).