[Lazarus] Lazarus GTK clears clipboard on exit

R.Smith ryansmithhe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:35:50 CEST 2022

On 2022/04/22 12:54, John Landmesser via lazarus wrote:
> I'm fighting with google-chrome-stable on Manjaro Linux XFCE that clears
> clipboard history when closed.
> I rember, but not shure, that this behaviour of an application is
> "usual" on linux??

It's Arch + X11, so yes, because of this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/clipboard

i.e. There is no real "clipbaord" space, "Copy" is handled more like a
"Promise-to-send-if-asked", but if asked after you are dead, then
fulfilling that promise is hard.

Best option is to install one of the myriad of clipboard managers. They
persist the copied data in local buffers and promise it forward.

> Firefox for example is not doing this ...

That's because Firefox never really fully exits, its clipboard manager
remains, I believe. They solved this their way because they encountered
this same problem even on Ubuntu some years ago, used to be a known
irritating bug that Firefox specifically "lost the clipboard contents"
after exiting.
Ref: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/21202

> Tipps are welcome

As stated before, a clipboard maanger is the only real option. A Google
search for this specifically should be very fruitful.