[Lazarus] Makefile issues

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Dec 1 23:22:38 CET 2022

On Thu, 1 Dec 2022, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 14:35:24 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The lazarus makefile has some dependency issues.
>>
>> make ide:
>
> That's an internal target.
> See "make help".
>
>> Am I correct in my understanding that in fact only the "main" targets
>> all, bigide, useride are supposed to work out of the box when you
>> start from a fresh checkout ?
>
> Yes.

Well, it turns out that "make useride" also does not work on a fresh
checkout. At least, I could no longer get it to work.

see my comment in
https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus/lazarus/-/issues/40024

But the point of the 'main targets' is taken, so I filed a feature
request in the issue tracker to be able to build the LCL using just
the Makefile.

basically, I would like something as

make lcl

to produce the LCL units.

(it can be another 'main' target name if that is needed, obviously)

Michael.