[Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.2

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Jan 6 00:30:46 CET 2022

On 05/01/2022 23:41, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the release of Lazarus 2.2.
>
> This release was built with FPC 3.2.2.

As a side note:

For x86_64,both FPC 3.2.0 and FPC 3.2.2 have a bug in the optimizer.

 From current observation this issue is extremely rarely triggered.
However, if the IDE for x86_64 is compiled with O2 or higher, then at
least FpDebug will be broken (The affected code is a generic in
LazUtils: TLazThreadedQueue or TLazFifoQueue).
Other parts of the IDE have not yet been observed, however even if the
bug is in effect, the broken code needs to be executed with very
specific arguments. Therefore, actual faulty behaviour could occur
rather seldom. Yet, as any bug, it can strike at any time.

Compiling with -O1 is save
Compiling with -O2 -OoNoPeepHole  should also be save..

*_It is recommended for x86_64 users, to build your IDE with -O1 only._*

This issue also affects 2.0.x (or potentially other code) if build with
3.2.0 or 3.2.2.
Since the triggers for this issue (complier going wrong, and resulting
broken code actually failing) are extremely complex, not every IDE build
(with 3.2.0/2 and -O2 up) will immediately show symptoms. It is possible
that an affected build runs without issues, or fails once every few
month only.

As for your own projects, you need to come to your own decision.  I have
not seen any reports of this issue (other for the IDE), and 3.2.0 has
been out for a good time.
Yet, no guarantees.

The issue is fixed in 3.2.3, so with the upcoming 3.2.4 this problem
will be gone.
https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/commit/e9d318e7e2f772bf455a92461cd5c229e69858d8

32 bit users should not be affected by this.
Non intel platforms should also not be affected.