[Lazarus] Component icons howto ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 29 18:37:43 CEST 2022

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022, Werner Pamler via lazarus wrote:

> Am 29.03.2022 um 15:50 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
>>    I see there are 3 icons for every standard component:
>>    mycomponent, mycomponent_150 and mycomponent_200
>>
>>    How does the IDE pick which image it needs ?
>
> The basic image name must match the component name (including the "T").
> The image without an appendix is used for standard resolution (96 ppi,
> 100%), the image with appendix "_150" is used for 144 ppi (150%), and
> the image with appendix "_200" is used for 192 ppi (200%)

So you must always register the three images.

>>    As a corollary: what's with the strange names ?
>>    Why not use the size of the icon in the name, that would be a lot
>> clearer IMHO?
>
> That's the way it was decided. One advantage is that when images are
> needed for other purposes, but at different sizes (e.g. the icons in the
> message window which are much smaller) the scaling procedure can still
> be the same

Not sure I follow the logic ?

>>    I looked in the WIKI but could not find any relevant info.
>
> https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/How_To_Write_Lazarus_Component#Step_3%3A_Create_icons_for_the_package

Hehe, the history shows you sneaked in the different sizes today.
I checked only last week, so I was pretty sure the info was outdated ;-)

Many thanks !

> There is also a short chapter in the Lazarus Handbook vol 2, page 717.

I must be getting old. I edited this book myself :-(

>> 2. I would like to create icons for some new dataset descendents.
>>    The icons for the well-known datasets all have a text on it.
>>    Where can I find the icon without a text on it ?
>
> Roland Hahn, who designed most of the new icons, recommends to paint the
> images in svg format (using InkScape for example). For there you can
> export the required images in any size as png. He does create three
> differently sized svg images for fine-tuning, but in my own work I
> usually draw only one size, e.g 36x36.
>
> You can find the svg source files from which all (well - most) of our
> images are created on CCR (folder "image_sources"). The TDbf database
> icons, for example, are located in
> (ccr)/image_sources/lazarus/components/tdbf etc (like in the IDE
> folder). From there you can delete or edit the text overlays.

OK, I will look at the SVG files. It didn't occur to me I can remove the
text. Or possibly simply change it to what I need.

Thank you very much !

Michael.