[Lazarus] How to list available serial orts on Ubuuntu?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Nov 28 14:48:20 CET 2022

Il 28/11/22 14:08, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:31:12 +0100, Giuliano Colla via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> Hope that it helps,
> Thanks, it does.
>
> I had thought of this but it looked like an overly complicated way given that
> the list of tty* ports using ls -l /dev/tty* on my system comprises no less than
> 98 hits....
>
> So I am now limiting the program to use USB connected serial adapters USB0..USB3
> and on start I populate the list of ports by checking that /dev/USBx eists where
> x is 0..3.
>
> After all this is the most common use nowadays with USB serial devices in
> connection with developing IoT devices.

/dev/tty* is pretty much useless. It's there for historical reasons.
/dev/ttyS* is the one for actual serial adapters, and, unless you
override with a command line parameter on boot, it is limited to 0..3 in
modern kernels.

Giuliano

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.