[Lazarus] Lazarus does not find compiled package, why?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 16:49:51 CET 2022

I have been off programming for a while and last time I was using Lazarus was on
Linux a year or two ago.
Meanwhile I have done some Windows app maintenance work on existing desktop
applications with Lazarus and that has worked fine.

Now I need to start a new project in Windows where I will use a custom package,
which is available in the Lazarus 2.0.12 install directory below
config\cmplaz\fpserialport where fpserialpkg is the name of the package.
The unit with the implementation is named fpserialport.pas.

The package is a wrapper for FPC Serial for RS232 communications.

So I expected that if I enter fpserialport in the uses clause Lazarus would pick
it up since it seemed to have been compiled earlier. But no joy...

So I did the following:
- Opened the package file via menu Package/OpenPackageFile and navigated to the
lpk file
- Selected "Compile" in the dialog that is shown and Lazarus recompiled the
package successfully.

But still it will not find my unit file...

I was under the assumption that every package thus compiled would be known by
Lazarus/Fpc...

What can I do to make this work again?

--
Bo Berglund