[Lazarus] Who uses "caret past EOL"?

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.nl
Fri Jun 2 18:07:28 CEST 2023

On 02/06/2023 15:21, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
> On 02/06/2023 15:07, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Jun 2023, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
>>
>>> If you do, do you use it within the range of the "longest line" only?

I use it, it was the first thing I enabled when it was available in
Lazarus. I seldom use my mouse for text navigation (to slow) but in
cases where I like to put my caret on a place using the mouse, it is in
the visible area of the screen.
When using keyboard navigation it can be outside that area.

>> What if I want to add a comment at column 60 (think explanation about
>> enumerated value) but the max line length is 40 ?
>>
>> Now I click at col 60 and add the comment. Will this still be possible ?
>
> Yes, it will.
> The question is how far should it allow by default?
>
> -----------
> Background:
> Currently the scroll always goes to 1024. Except when the longest line
> is longer, then it goes (on any line) to the max = longest line. But
> never behind that.
>
> In future, if you hold cursor-right, it will go further (like notepad
> ++, if "virtual space" is enabled).
> Of course that covers the range for cursor keys.

Thats fine with me. Having the scrollbar limited to the
max(screenwidht+something, longest line) makes sense.

Marc