[Lazarus] Output directories

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jun 7 11:58:11 CEST 2023

Il 07/06/23 11:43, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> There is a problem when installing Lazarus through the package manager on
> Linux, and when you try to install/recompile additional packages:
>
> Error: (lazarus) unable to create package output directory
> "/usr/share/lazarus/2.2.4/components/fpweb/lib/x86_64-linux" of
> package "weblaz 1.0"
>
> I suspect that the IDE tries to create the output directories of
> packages,
> but of course it has no write permission in /usr/share.
>
> Should this not be detected and the output put in
> ~/.local/share/lazarus/... instead ?
>
> Michael.

There's a number of such bugs.

When you're rebuilding Lazarus with source code in a write protected
folder, your local copy is created in a local ~/.lazarus folder.
Everything should be written there and the write protected folder should
be left  untouched. But whenever a subfolder is needed, there is a check
that it does exist in the write protected area, even if it will not be
used, and an error is flagged if the folder doesn't exist and can't be
created.

It occurred to me with qt ws. Just sudo mkdir the missing directory in
the lazarus tree, the folder is left empty, but the IDE compiles properly.

Giuliano