[Lazarus] Lazarus fails to build

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 18 23:46:29 CET 2023

On Sat, 18 Mar 2023, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:

>> If some functionality of the IDE uses laz.virtualtreeview then the IDE
>> should properly list a depencency on that package, instead of adding
>> it hardcoded in the IDE uses clause. As soon as a user installs the
>> package in
>> question (s)he will have the same error as I did.
>>
>> I removed the duplicates and pushed the change.
>>
>> Michael.
>

> They werent duplicates.
> Those units (or their packages) are now hardcoded included.
>
> This error happens everytime, when packages become part of the core list.
> Because older IDE are not forward compatible with that sort of change.

Is there no way to make the IDE forward compatible with that kind of change ?

> With then removed, the IDE will fail to build, when those packages are
> not installed manually.
>
> ==========
> To work around:
>
> Build once via
>   make clean bigide
> and after that all should work.
>
> Or remove the 3 units from lazarus.pp / rebuild / add them again
>
> Once you have a new IDE, it wont add them to staticpackages anymore.

OK. I will re-add them.

Maybe this should be documented somewhere, or some warning should be
given on the mailing lists that this change has happened.

If I just do a git pull and have this problem, currently there is no way to know.

And if it happens again in 5 years, I will surely have forgotten this mail.

Michael.