[Lazarus] Lazarus fails to build

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 19 00:00:02 CET 2023

On Sat, 18 Mar 2023, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 23:39:02 +0100
> Martin Frb via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> This error happens everytime, when packages become part of the core
>> list. Because older IDE are not forward compatible with that sort of
>> change.
>
> As this happens seldom there is no detection built in (yet) to handle
> this automatically.

If possible, might be a good idea.

And rather than hardcoding this in the uses clause of lazarus,
I would think it is better to have a list of 'always-include' package names
coded somewhere in the sources.

Then the 'hardcoded' packages are simply added to staticpackages.inc,
and the IDE can warn when it is started after recompilation when an
additional recompilation is needed:
It can then detect that the list of hardcoded packages has changed after compilation.

The problem is then simply non-existant.

>> [...]
>> To work around:
>>
>> Build once via
>>    make clean bigide
>
> ... or update lazbuild and use that to build the new IDE.

As all naive users, I use 'Tools - Build lazarus'. Silly me...

Michael.