[Qt] Problems with OwnerDraw ListWidget and friends

Den Jean Den.Jean at telenet.be
Sat Jul 21 22:56:47 CEST 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 05:54:09 Paul Ishenin wrote:
> In LCL we have many item containers that can have custom draw item events.

I see the binding for LCL needs, not for pascal Qt programming. For this
indeed method overriding is lacking. For LCL it is normally not needed,
almost everything can be overriden via the eventfilter (proof is CLX).

So everything needed is present.

QAbstractItemDelegate is just more abstraction, they needed something to
sell Qt 4. It is not present in Qt 3. The commercial nature of Qt makes
that over time it is moving from perfect lean design to big monster due to the
stupid need to have something new in every release. Please do not use
something so advanced in a widgetset interface.

Catching paint events and other events via event filters, void the need to
derive the class. It is just catching signals. Qt is build for that.
But for method overriding, you need to subclass.

Please review your request or elaborate further.

Anyhow creating a framework for method overriding is a
lot of work, weeks, so perhaps it is better spent on something else.

I would prefer that the simple things work first, before we
work on custom drawn combo box items. But we can also come
back on this later.

Radio buttons do not work yet, even with the QT_HIDDEN_BUTTON_WORKAROUND.
The horizontal positions are not correct, nor the tab order (key up/down).
Could we work on such things first. I tried to read the code, but do not even
find were the positions are set.

kind regards,

Den Jean