[Qt] Serious problems with libqt4intf quality for Debian

Den Jean Den.Jean at telenet.be
Wed Dec 16 22:56:21 CET 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 20:44:27 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> The build system looks like it is a buildd killer. It basically builds
> all files at once, instead of build all files and then link them
> together.

FYI:

I am working on a build system.

Instead of a very short compile script with a single gcc call,
I now have a qmake project file of 647 lines and a
corresponding Makefile of 3384 lines.
Calling Make results in countless gcc calls.

Instead of a compile time of only 13secs,
compilation now takes 11 minutes using 'make'
or 5 minutes with 'make -j 6'

Separating code in several files (.h/.cpp) and be able to
compile files individually and link together, has advantages when
you manually edit some files. Then only the edited files
need to be recompiled. As the files are not manually created,
this advantage is pointless.

As the compile time is unacceptable, I will revert this change
and revert to building all files at once. This may look as not
doing it the proper way, but the explanation is that the files
are generated and not manually edited.

I will keep the qmake project file, as package builders are
more familiar with that.

The current qmake project file is only
tested on linux (lazarus compiles and runs fine)

So I tried, but it is unacceptable, but I hope the qmake
project file will facilitate the creation of packages.

temporarily available at:
http://users.telenet.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/qt4intf_qmake.tar.gz

Instructions:
========
  untar
  cd qt4intf_qmake/

  qmake
  // generates Makefile
  // requires libqt4-devel package
  // run qmake -query to see which Qt version is used (and where it resides).

  make    // compiles c++ code, so go grab a coffee

kind regards,

Den Jean