[Qt] Packaging

Den Jean Den.Jean at telenet.be
Sat Nov 14 20:21:00 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 November  2009 15:30:39 Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> > I haven't gotten to the packaging yet, because there is two things from
> > upstream that *needs* to be fixed.
> > 1) The moc gerenated files *needs* to be generated on build, else the
> > build might break on each new qt version.

It is disturbing to see how little knowledge a Qt/Kde packager has of Qt,
but then Debian does not even have Kde4 in stable.
It is alot of work to create a binding for each new version of Qt. This is not
what a distro package maintainer does. This is why (effort) Nokia decided to stop
this effort for QtJambi.

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/10/02/adapting-qt-jambi-to-a-new-minor-version-of-qt/

This is also why the most long lasting Qt binding,
PyQt, is a commercial one and licenses fund the binding effort.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/license (grep fund)

The moc files are included to ease the compilation process, you only
need to indicate where the Qt libs are and where the Qt includes are,
you do not need to change the search path to have the correct moc binary called.
With correct I mean of the same Qt version as the binding, on debian not the
same Qt as the distribution Qt (Debian is still Qt3 in stable)

> > 2) The build system needs to be done in a way that doesn't kill buildds
> > when it can be avoided.
This I actually do not understand, not that I know buildd, but what is wrong
with the code, it is way smaller than kde4, how can this be too heavy to compile
for buildd.

Anyhow, what is wrong with already providing binary packages for the main
architectures. I already compiled binaries for the main architectures.

> Okay, this means: He will not upload the package to Debian, but another one
> (maybe a Lazarus-Maintainer?) could do that, if the issues above are fixed.
> Could someone of the Qt4intf-Team please include a build system and add the
The whole team (aka moi) will look into it.

But it would be way more interesting to have binary packages, like for fpc
to enable users of a given distro to quickly get going.

regards,

Den Jean