[Qt] Why Qt4Pas?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Fri Apr 30 20:29:37 CEST 2010

> Would you advise an all out qt4-fpc development ATM? Alternatives are,
> the existing C++ resources and talents and Java , since  my SBC
> supports jazzle technology.

No, qt4-fpc development is not recommended. The library maps C++ object
methods into flat C-style functions. It is not as nice to use as a real object
library. It supports only a subset of QT. Its main purpose is to allow binding
LCL graphical UI controls to QT.

You should look at QT's python bindings if you want to use a cleaner language
than C++ and still use QT.
Or then forget QT and use Java instead.
Or, forget them both and use FPC + Lazarus / LCL.

Actually I was playing with the idea (in my mind only) of mapping the whole QT
object library into a OP (Object Pascal) object library. It has to go through
the flat function mapping and is clumsy but it should be possible.
Then I was playing with the idea of replacing the current form designer with
another plug-in designer suitable for QT layout, and then using Lazarus as a
Pascal-QT design environment.
It would combine the best of 2 worlds:
 A clean language (compared to C++) but still fast compiled binaries (compared
to python bindings). Yes, and fast compilation during development.

I don't know how much sense it would make. FPC / Lazarus / LCL libraries also
have a big amount of good quality code and they don't need any mapping.

Regards,
Juha