[Qt] V2.0 RC

Ge592 Ge592 at telenet.be
Tue Jan 12 00:52:02 CET 2010

Hi,

I have almost finished a new version, would you
all be so kind to test, review the new readmes and
provide feedback for the respective platforms.

http://users.telenet.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/fpcqt4.html
Look for V2.0 RC

The intent was to use qmake instead of compile scripts.

 Pros:
===
  - more familiar to most people

  - no need to edit compile script

  - no moc files distributed in source tar
    (but as binding was Qt version dependent, this was not really a problem)

  - usage of a makefile build system and no moc files, may open perspectives
    on adding binding to fpc svn (any fpc devs on this list ?).

  - though the qmake project file is much larger than the compile scripts,
    readmes are more platform independent and OsX frameworks creation
    is easier.

  - Easier installation of library on every platform using make install,
    especially since the addition of the version to the library,
    a lot of symlinks were needed in Linux.

Cons:
====
  - much slower compilation (especially painful for me, I do this a lot :-)

Library Renamed:
===========
The library was renamed, because the name should reflect what it is.
For Pascal it is an interface to Qt4, but just naming it Qt4Intf.dll
does not show that it really only is for Pascal. E.g. there is libqtruby,
therefore pascal should be in the name.
Some people think it is a general (C) interface to Qt4,but it isn't.
There are provisions to ease usage with Pascal, these provisions
rely on the availability of some pascal language callbacks/factories available
to the C++ code.  With some people I refer to some other languages who
thought that they could use this binding. This name change does not
affect the Lazarus LCL code, it only the obsoletes various wikis and
instructions on some users sites (... please get libqt4intf.dll from FPC Qt4
Home site...) I apologize :-)

kind regards,

Den Jean