[Lazarus] FCL-Web and new WebDesign packages

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 28 15:30:44 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:30:28PM +0100, Adrian Veith wrote:

> because Pascal is not as well suited for dynamic languages and
> environments -

It has variant, dispatch interfaces, and can interface with such
environments if need be. But the question is if that is really neccessary or
applicable to webapps.

> I use pascal since 30 years for my every day development
> and love it - but IMHO for web programming, it is more productive to
> have a dynamic language

Care to explain? I don't see the need for this at all.

> it is the nature of websites.

I don't see this either.

> (Free)-Pascal has nothing comparable to type inference, or dynamic
> closures (only with some tricks, and you must know what you do) and
> garbage collection (please no flame war here, but there ARE circumstances
> where GC is useful - websites - and yes, you can use the Boehm GC with
> freepascal).

I agree a safety net is a great good for webpages, but that doesn't have to
be an in-language GC for everything.

One can use frameworks to avoid manual allocation, per thread heapmanagers
with mark-sweep characteristics etc etc.

The hype for dynamic webpage etc is because many tools in this sector grew
out simple preprocessors, or are reactions to them. There is IMHO nothing
inheritly untyped or dynamically typed in webprogramming, save tradition.