[Customdrawn] LazClock exercise

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sun Apr 1 13:47:53 CEST 2012

I've run some comparisons to evaluate lazclock performance with
different widgetsets, and options.

The Clock doesn't tell too much. With Customdrawn and original timer
sometimes you see the seconds hand jump two seconds (meaning that it
missed a tick), with new timer you see it a little less, but that's all.

Cronometer tells much more, because you can evaluate the performance,
i.e. the number of expected timer events in a given time (given timer
interval), with respect to the actual events received.

I've modified lazclock to show this information, together with
information about the environment.
I've been also obliged to make a couple of minor changes to make it
compile: I'm using fpc 2.4.4. What has been used for lazclock?
Attached the diff file.

Then I run it with GTK2 and Qt widgetset, and with CD widgetset both
with old and new timer.
Screenshots of the results of those tests can be seen at:
http://www.copeca.it/colla/LazClock_compare.jpg
(I've scaled the images to fit them in just one page)

As the drawing time (not considering X11 paint time) exceeds 60 ms, I
tested not only with 20 ms interval, but also with 50 ms and 100 ms.

I leave it to you to draw your conclusions.

Giuliano