[Customdrawn] Some patches

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:48:26 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> To me this sound rather in sync with the effort necessary to do a decent
> Android GUI interface (using the Java-based Android libraries) which also
> seems to ask for a kind of "remote GUI".

Some corrections:

1> The Android GUI is not remote. It does link to Java APIs, but
that's not the same as remote. The link to Java is a very direct one
with JNI. Our code runs as a library linked to the virtual machine
executable and communicates directly with the virtual machine via
normal plain procedures, just like one talks for example to Gtk
(except that the roles are inverted, we are the library and the
virtual machine the executable in Android). I wrote a "remote" LCL
interface to Android in the past but I deleted it in favor of
LCL-CustomDrawn. Remote stuff is always too slow when it comes to
drawing graphics.

2> Each backend needs a separate timer implementation, so a theorical
nogui backend would need it's own timer, although it could copy code
from X11. The Android backend uses the timer provided by the Android
API, so it does not need to implement this on it's own.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho