[lazarus] classesh.inc change required

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Dec 21 02:52:56 EST 1999

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Shane Miller wrote:
> >
> > The first thing I see is the create method in Delphi doesn't require
> > any parameters......(I'm in delphi 5 BTW)
>
> OK. Your correct. I did write it so that you could pass it a value to
> set the size of the bits required. I suppose it could be removed.
> Originally I wrote it as an extra independent class which MVC later
> incorporated into the standard TBits class. Being able to pass the
> initial value of the array required seems to be more efficient to me
> than the way Borland did it.
>
> So this begs the question. Even if something can be done better and more
> logically are we going to always write it to match Delphi?

No, you can write compatibility routines. Just make a normal constructor as
well, which does the same, but that uses a default size.

I have the streaming system pretty much set up. From the start it will be
more general than Delphi's, but it emulates Delphi's system perfectly.
(Well, the 'perfectly' remains to be seen of course :) )

> Then my next question is, which VCL do we match? In this case TBits is
> the same since at least Delphi 3 (as far back as I checked) but what if
> it was different from 3 to 5? Which version do we emulate?

Is that important to you ? Try to make the latest possible; in any case the
interface changes between D3 and D5 are almost nihil; the internal stuff
changes probably quite a lot.

> I have no problem removing the create parameter in the TBits class it
> has just brought up the issues is all.
>
> I have asked this before. Are we building a total Delphi clone or are we
> building a Delphi like tool?

Delphi like, but as close as possible to the original :-)

If you make improvements, include them, but always include wrapper methods
that make existing code still run.

Michael.